Saturday, February 09, 2008

Remaking Romeo and Juliet

This is just a random shout out to the internet-verse. A couple of weeks ago, I read this piece on Patrick Stewart in the New York Times. In there he mentioned, with what seemed a small tinge of regret, that he will never play Hamlet, Romeo, Orlando, or Benedick. I saw Romeo and Juliet in New York's Central Park last summer, and I realized I had never really taken to that play before because I had not liked the actors and actresses I have seen as Romeo and Juliet. This memory connected in my head with the fact that I also have long admired Stewart's ability to act, even if he wasn't always provided the best cinematic roles.

So, here is what I'm asking of the universe. If you have or know anyone who has the ability to produce Romeo and Juliet, might I suggest you turn the story around? Make Romeo and Juliet the parents instead of the children. I think that would be a fascinating turn on the play. And then you can cast Patrick Stewart, and that would be amazing to watch. Just let me know where you are going to produce this so I can find a way of seeing it.

---
The above photo was taken by Steve Forrest/Insight-Visual, for The New York Times in London's Gielgud Theater, and it can be found with the Jan. 23, 2008 article linked above on Patrick Stewart.

No comments: