Monday, February 11, 2008

Paul Krugman and the Obama cult of personality

Below is the email I contemplated sending Paul Krugman of the New York Times today because of his views on Senator Obama's supposed cult of personality. I decided it was too long a rant to send in an email to someone I don't know, so why not publish it in cyberspace for a bunch of people I don't know (or all five of you I do know) to read it at their leisure? The column in question was "Hate Springs Eternal" in this morning's paper.

Mr. Krugman:

I do want to say first that I have long admired your column, and that I will continue to admire and support your work by reading it long after this campaign season has ended.

I am writing in response to your column and subsequent blog post because I wanted to let you know that our experiences of this campaign season starkly contrast each other. I currently live in California, and I support Hillary Clinton but my preferred candidate this season is Barack Obama. While you assign the Democratic campaign's vitriol to Senator's Obama supporters who supposedly worship the cult of his genius Roman style, my observations tend to place more of the vitriol in Senator Clinton's camp. I have heard some horrible things said about Senator Clinton, but mostly from people who blanket oppose Senator Clinton and would campaign for a ficus rather than support her (and these people really bother me, but that's another issue). I admit that my circles may incline me to hear from moderated rational people and not fanatical fascist supporters of Senator Obama, whom I am certain do exist (and yes I saw the video). Nonetheless, my experience of Senator Clinton supporters was that they were the overly antagonistic ones. A number of women I spoke to, including family members, tended to view me as a traitor to all women for supporting Senator Obama. By contrast, the one time a person on my district's Obama listserv sent out an email blanket insulting Hillary Clinton, the listserv was filled with emails distressed by such behavior. They viewed supporting Senator Obama as a choice they had made, but they respected Senator Clinton as a Democrat, a leader, and a candidate.

On your blog, you brought up the race issue. Now, as you alluded to in your blog, perhaps I believe what I believe because I do actually believe that in a legislative way Al Gore "invented" the internet. The thing about racism is that it survives because it is capable of behaving in ways that are inexplicit but significant at the same time. Tying Senator Obama's victory in South Carolina to Jesse Jackson's is about as explicit as you can get while still claiming plausible deniability, but we'll give Bill Clinton the benefit of the doubt and say it was a subconscious racial connection rooted in historical facts. Dolores Huerta, whom I have also been a great admirer of, attempted to portray Senator Obama as someone who has no interest or concern for Latina/os. Frank Rich, your fellow columnist, made clear in his Sunday piece that the Clinton campaign has actively played on the race issue, especially between Latino/as and African Americans. A Clinton campaign pollster claimed that Latina/os would not vote for African Americans (as a footnote to this piece: you can't say any one ethnic group always votes one way - as it turns out some white men are willing to vote for people outside their own immediate racial-ethnic group). Senator Clinton then supported this statement to Tim Russert by claiming it was a "historical" fact when, as Rich pointed out, plenty of Latina/os have voted for African Americans at local levels in both California and across the country. Though not explicit, I cannot doubt that at some level, even if merely a subconscious one, that was meant to work as race-baiting between Latino/a and African American voters. Such behavior did factor into my ultimate decision to support the campaign of Senator Obama (among a range of factors).

If Senator Clinton is the fairly elected nominee, I do intend to support her in the fall. If Senator Obama is the nominee, I do expect that attacks will be made against him and his character that will dwarf anything stated so far by Senator Clinton's campaigners. For some reason, U.S. voters do like living in "Nixonland" as you cleverly called it. While I have long admired your keen and insightful wit on issues like this, I think this time your support of Senator Clinton, like others' support of Senator Obama, may have kept you from seeing that Senator Clinton's campaign has made some serious missteps with regard to race, and more specifically that what antagonism exists in the Democratic race runs on both sides and has its own strong expression in the Clinton camp.

Thank you for your time,
sister t

--
Photo taken by Josh Haner for the New York Times

No comments: